mercoledì 28 dicembre 2011

Wouter van Riessen

Can you describe your work?
All my work has to do with the self-portrait.
What would you portray when you want to portray yourself?
A simple picture of a face won't suffice.
In my work I search for ways to catch self-images, find out what they are.
Another theme in my work is the notion of bringing life to an image, of conjuring up the imagination.


What are you working on?
I make digital collages based on images that speak to me.
I start off very intuitively, then I think about the images I have made and modify them.
These collages are at the basis of my paintings.



What inspires you?
I love Medieval sculpture, this is also an important source for me.
Furthermore, I am inspired by what I read in books about things like consciousness, free will, the body/mind problem ect.
I am in particular inspired by writings of Antonio Damasio.
Then there is of course Pinocchio, in some ways my alter ego.


What you hope to evoke from your viewers?
A sense of awe for the way life presents itself. And I want to show that an image can bear a sense of inner glow, without being religious or mystique.


How your work has grown and changed?
Over the years my definition of self-portraiture has become more abstract and philosophical.
I now have more of symbolic approach.


Do you experiment with different materials a lot or do you prefer to work within certain parameters?
I do a lot of things: painting, drawing, collage, mask making, photography, songwriting.
This way I can move from medium to medium and inspiere myself.


Can you tell me something about your residence in Rijsakademie?
I felt very lonely up there. I learned I lot, but just could not bring it into practice.
All the teachers made me feel nervous.



Is there anything else you would like to add?
Good luck with your blog!

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento