giovedì 29 dicembre 2011

Frans Smit

Can you describe your work?
My work is generally geometrical abstract.


What are you working on?
At the moment I'm working on a series of paintings on paper and canvas with each time the same starting-point, a frame.
I found out that it is not necessary to start with a total new image each time to work out my ideas.





What inspires you?
I'm Very much inspired by Mondrian, Vasarely and René Daniëls.
The main subject is color ("when you love color, the color loves you" (fs).


What you hope to evoke from your viewers?
I want my viewers to experience happiness, beauty and spirituality.
"Art has to be forgotten, beauty must be realised" Mondrian,
"A thing of beauty is a joy forever" Keats.


How your work has grown and changed?
I've changed in this way that it's not about diversity in subjects anymore but the diversity is now taking place in small changes within the frame I'm using.
This might seem boring but is on the contrary very challenging for me.
Steven Aalders was just ahead of me with this concept, but his work inspired me very much.
So by making this change I experience growth.


Do you experiment with different materials a lot or do you prefer to work within certain parameters?
I'm not experimenting with a lot of materials righ now.
I use oil-, acryl- and gouache-paint on canvas, board and thick paper.
Still trying to figure out how to use the paint for the best results (should it be thick or transperent).


Can you tell me something about your residence in Rijsakademie?
The period on the Rijksakademy was very challenging for me.
I met and spoke with a lot of artists over there, such as: Han Schuil, Narcisse Todoir, Jaap Hillenius, Armando, Marlene Dumas, Peter Schuijff and many others.
Though I worked there for 2 years the expectations (and therefore the pressure for achievement) where very high.
I regret the fact that I didn't use more of the possibilities this institute was offering. 
It's a shame that our government is going to cut down expences on subsidy for the Rijksakademie.
Is there anything else you would like to add?
I want you to know that my latest achievement was participating in "Anoniem Gekozen, Zomerexpo2011", Gemeente Museum Dan Haag.
They selected two of my (small) paintings for the exhibition.
Maybe you can still find them on the Internet in the on-line gallery of the museum.  




Nessun commento:

Posta un commento